navigation

navigation

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Digging for letters, big kid edition



A few posts back, I made a post about letter buttons and rice that was aimed towards 3-5 yr olds. You can find that here. This post is more for the older kids. School age kids.

I use that same bin of rice with Dawson on occasion. Let's face it, kids love digging in stuff! 

Dawson likes using the letters for his spelling words. It adds an extra excitement that just writing them down lacks. He writes the word and then digs out the letters to make the word.

This week he's working on "ock" words. Things like, Clock, lock, sock, dock, shock...get your mind out of the gutter!! Ok, that was mostly for me, but be honest, I know some of your minds wandered.

Dawson's favorite thing to do with the rice uses dictionary.com
 
I load it up on my kindle and he digs out letters to make a word. Once he has what he thinks is a word, he looks it up to see what it means. 

Not everything is a real word, but some are. Both of us end up learning a lot because some of the words are things I've never heard of. Here I come, Words With Friends!

Usually the definitions have lots of words that Dawson doesn't know, so it ends up leading to more searching to figure out the definitions. I could tell him the meaning, but I think he enjoys  the independence of looking them up himself.
  
Sometimes I amuse myself with digging for words too.
  
Seriously these buttons are amazing and well worth the $6. I'm so happy I bought them! 

Linking up today with Skip To My Lou for her Made By You Mondays!    

11 comments:

  1. New follower from the GFC, hope you'll follow me as well. This is a great idea! I'll be saving this one for a rainy day activity! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It provides lots of entertainment! Hopefully your kids will enjoy it as much as mine. :)

      Followed you back!

      Delete
  2. I love this! What a fun idea! Thanks for stopping by my blog, I am following you back :)

    sjdmiller.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks hunny for the following and for the help and for going out of your way to comment and let me know things. You're the 2nd one in 2 days who's helped. and was nice. same thing i do to people. I thought i was doing something wrong on this blogging deal. b/c I link up, i view blogs, i read them, i comment, i follow them on their blog, and anything else they have and so far ive went from 13 to 22 in 2 days. and I have yet to figure out how these people have 100 to 1000 followers. or how they even keep up with that many blogs. I'm still behind on blogs from yesterday. and I can be negative about it sometimes but dont see the point in blogging and following others if they wont do the same for me. it's only fair right or am i wrong? and some how on a recent blog thing on fb my asking for help came off as rude. the only thing I can figure out is its got something to do with me being from the south. South Ga that is. and what's ironic. You mention Dawson. I'm guessing that's your son? but I'm sitting here watching Dawson's creek. not sure you're young/old enough to remember that show. :D have a good nite and a great week to come darlin. and thanks again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think it takes time. Lots of link ups. Lots of following. I went from 3 followers to 57 followers in a month. BUT, I do several link ups a week. I have a lot of friends with 500+ followers and honestly, they've done lots of giveaways, which gives them lots of followers. You'll get there, it's just not a quick process. :)
      Some people don't follow back, which is a bummer, but let it roll off your back and move on to the next one. No worries. It is fair to follow back, but unfortunately not everyone is that considerate. Asking for help is definitely not rude! People get so butt hurt about stuff now days!
      Dawson is my son. I used to love Dawson's Creek, but he wasn't named after it. :) Dawson means "Son of David". His Dad, my Fiance, is named David.

      Thanks for stopping by! :) I'm not an expert at all, but if you need more help with anything, feel free to message me.

      Delete
  4. Wow what a great project!! How old is Dawson. My little one is three and learns a lot of stuff on an old ipod I don't use and he's pretty good with sight words so far, but not sure if he'd know how to do the dictionary part. But very very cool!

    I am a new follower from the GFC hop. I'd love for you to stop by when you get a chance!

    Heather from Mommy Only Has 2 Hands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Dawson is 7, so the Dictionary may be a little advanced yet, but you could easily print out words and have your little one find the letters to place over the top of it!

      Delete
  5. newest follower :)
    what a great idea!!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww thank you! When I was thinking of a name I looked over at my boys, who were filthy, like always and at my Fiance, who had grease all over his face/hands and realized it was perfect for us! We are always getting dirty in this house!

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love! I love comments!