Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Dresser Revamp Part 1. Fixing and Preparing the Dresser.

 When I was a teenager I painted my dresser. I had an obsession with clouds, stars, butterflies, etc. My dresser was boring and plain. I got an itch to paint it and I busted out my paints and went to town. Mind you I didn't have permission, but I rarely did when I was a teenager. I loved what I had created and it fit my room perfectly.

15 years later and Dawson is currently using my old dresser. Function wise, it's in great shape. Look wise...woah. It's ugly. It's beat up. It's chipping. The paint does NOT match my children's room to any degree.

It needed a makeover. Badly.

I have this problem where I decided I'm going to do something and that is all that fills my mind until I actually do it. I thought about this dresser all the time. What was I going to do to it? How was I going to do it? Could I do it?

Good ol Google Images gave me a base. The skyline scene from Batman. A VERY well known part of Batman. Even if you don't like Batman, you know this scene. You would be lying if you said you didn't.

I told David my plan, bought the stuff needed to do it and recruited him to help me with the process of cleaning up the dresser and preparing it for paint. Ok, I asked him if he would sand it for me. I may or may not have pouted and eventually he said yes. 

I also needed him to bring the dresser down for me. I could have done it, but I didn't want to. I have a fear of carrying heavy things down the stairs. My mind gets away from me and I imagine all sorts of horrible things happening when I trip and fall to my doom. I guess I passed my images to David because he actually did trip while carrying the dresser outside. He lost his footing and actually fell off the steps, miraculously he hung tight to that dresser and didn't fall, but he did injure his arm in the process. Don't worry, he'll live...but only because he saved the dresser.

We took the dresser out for inspection and holy cow was that thing beat up! The veneer was a hot mess. The top was crumbling. I had a moment of panic thinking we couldn't save it. David got to work scraping and sanding. 

All of the veneer was scraped off.

All of the holes were filled with wood filler.

The old paint was sanded off.

A new top was put on, made out of mdf.

The knobs were all replaced. We really only needed to replaced one knob, since it looked like a cat had been gnawing on it at some point, but I figured we might as well replace all of them.

Finally I was able to prime it and it was ready for the hard part!

But you'll have to wait until part 2 for the fun part. A little suspense never hurt anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love! I love comments!