navigation

navigation

Thursday, August 4, 2011

30 Day Craft Challenge...Day 2

  Day 2 is the continuation of the freezer paper stencils! It's time to paint. Last blog ended on the stencils being ironed on. You will now need some sort of cardboard to stick in between the shirt, fabric paint, and some paint brushes. For the fabric paint, I use Tulip Brand, Soft Fabric paint. Which you can find at most or any craft store.

 I had the older boys paint their shirts, I painted the youngest ones shirt, and I let the little one paint an extra little tote bag I had, just so he wouldn't feel left out. I gave them each one of those foam brushes and let them go to town! The best technique to paint is to dab the paint, not brush it on. It takes a little bit longer, but it turns out so much better then brushing it on, and it lasts longer. I recommend 2 light coats of paint, but obviously use your judgement. Some colors will use more coats, some will use less. 

 

Once you have finished painting, let it dry for a few minutes, but make sure you peel the stencil off before the paint dries all the way. If you have any little pieces, like in the letters, use your exacto knife to help peel those off. Go slow removing the stencil, you don't want to mess up the paint job!




 


  There you have it! Your shirts are done! We did do a little extra on a couple of our shirts after the paper was peeled. The skull got spider webs, and the cowboy got a light brushing of gold. Let them dry for a while, I usually *try* to wait 24 hrs. 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love! I love comments!