navigation

navigation

Monday, August 1, 2011

30 Day Craft Challenge....Day 1

 Woo hoo! Day one! I actually started this challenge! For day numero uno, I decided to go with a craft I was obsessed with a couple of years ago. Freezer Paper Stencils! Back in the day, when our youngest was first born, I painted so many little onesies with this method. It's easy, fun and oh so adorable! This is also kind of a 2 step process...at least for the blog. Tonight, I will give you the tutorial on cutting the stencil out.



  I'm not confident enough in my drawing skills, so I print images on my freezer paper. If you can draw, buy all means draw your design. First I designed my images on photoshop. I made them into a 10 by 8 image, so they would be rather large on the shirt. 



This is where I'm going to throw you for a loop. I forgot to take pictures of the end of this design...and I forgot to take pictures of the beginning of the next design. The super cutesy cowboy design is for the littlest one, and the skull (shown below) is for the oldest one. So you get 2 designs in one blog! Bonus! 



 Once you have your design, print it out on your freezer paper, making sure you are printing on the rougher side, not the smooth waxy side! Once it is printed, it's time to do some cutting. Grab your Exacto knife and start cutting out the part you want showing on the shirt. 
 
Make sure your blade is sharp and take your time. It took me about an hour to cut this out. Granted I had 3 children crowding around to watch, (or bump the table) and I had to take a break for putting them to bed, but still, I took my time. At the end, you will have all the parts you want painted, cut out. 



Here is a special step. Some stencils will have parts that get cut, but need to be replaced. Such as the letters in the "Lil' Buckaroo" stencil above. I need to keep the circles for the letter. DO NOT LOSE THESE! Set them aside for step 2!! 

 So in the end, you will have something that looks like this. 


All the pieces will be cut out, and ready to be ironed on!


  This is where I confess that I never iron. I don't even own an ironing board. The only thing I iron, is freezer paper onto t-shirts. Bring out the dusty iron, plug it in and set it to a low temperature. Place your freezer paper, shiny side down, onto your shirt, or whatever fabric you are going to use. Slowly and carefully iron on the transfer, making sure to pay careful attention to any of the nooks, crannies and corners. You don't want any space underneath for paint to leak under!


 
Once you are sure that every part of the stencil is ironed on really well, you are ready to paint! It's late...the kids are sleeping...so we'll do step 2, painting, tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love! I love comments!